Skip to main content
coping in an emergency
The content on this page is local, non-Conference-approved. The Wellington SLAA group does not speak for all of SLAA.
- Step back (S) take a deep break (T) ask yourself if what you're about to do is really ok (A) and respond in a healthy way (R)
- Make a gratitude list
- Afirmation: if I am rooted in reality, there will be no fear
- Focus on People, Purpose and Passion
- Wise mind wins over rational and emotional mind
- Afirmation: quarantine your brain – it has wronged me through chemical slavery
- Create a challenge goal for yourself
- Delay gratification
- Drink water when you get cravings
- Stop trying to push your boundaries around bottom lines
- Do more exercise
- Think 'balance'
- Plan ahead for better use of my time
- Interrupt the habit pattern with a phone call to a SLAA member
- Get to a meeting
- Trust in your higher power
- Say the serenity prayer
- Stop scanning and broadcasting
- Do step work with your sponsor
- Find a Skype meeting
- Be creative and productive
- Work to improve daily routine
- Empower myself in any healthy way. For e.g. through music, singing, dancing and guitar
- Do step four work
- Create a Passionate Life Reminder
- Read and review your bottom lines
- Try to do step work with a sponsee or at least text or call
- Read up on top line behaviours. Activities that I either must do, or be sure to avoid, in order to stay out of my addictive pattern.
- Affirmation: Just for today. I will turn my will and my whole life strategy over to the care of my HP
- Affirmation: Why torture yourself? I don't want to let others hurt me, so why hurt myself. Acting out hurts myself.
- Recognise that not acting out makes my life better. Set non-negotiable boundaries for your own behaviours to achieve and maintain my serenity.
- I'm not doing this for anyone else. Make it important. Look at the big picture - makes the little stuff I'm dealing with little.
- Be accountable to others